Sunday, June 24, 2007

Need help in Kelowna

Last year, with the help of many of you, we organized and send 3 containers of bikes to Africa. Since that time, Bicycles for Humanity has encouraged and worked with many individuals and groups across Canada start B4H Chapters, partner with communities in Africa and send bikes. Groups are now in place in Vancouver, Thunder Bay, Brampton, Ottawa and Cambridge and many more communities are exploring establishing grassroots groups.

All of this started in Kelowna and we hope that it continues this year. My role in working with groups and the partners in Africa has become a full time job it leaves me no time to organize a bike collection in Kelowna. I'm keen to help, there are a lot of people who want to volunteer and donate bikes, but the responsibility for fundraising and organizing volunteers is more than I can handle right now and I need help. If any individual, group or church is interested in organizing a B4H chapter or in helping raise the funds needed, to send a container, about $7500, please let me know. I cannot manage it on my own this year, with all that is going on. It is my hope that we have a bike collection in Kelowna this summer, but without help and someone to organize and take the lead, it will be hard to make it happen.

Thanks to all who supported it last year, we have $850 already raised towards Kelowna and a further $1500 from Rotary when my home in Whistler is rented this summer, leaving us about $5,000 short and no team in place to push it over the top. if you or anyone you knows feel that this is a use full project in Kelowna, please let me know

Thanks, Humanity Rocks

Pat

No comments: